Saturday, June 17, 2006

So Different, Yet So Similar

I often wonder how my sister and I could possibly have come from the same parents.

From the minute she appeared on my doorstep we had been at odds with each other. I am very aware of her disapproval over what has happened within my personal life. She is often jealous of me, often harshly critical, often disapproving. Something I've grown accustomed to over the years.

R was at my home when she arrived, unannounced, from her home, which happens to be on the other side of the country.

"Good lord girl, look at you! Didn't I teach you how to use a comb?" she stated, running her fingers through my hair. Looking over from head to toe, she picked up a bag and stepped through the doorway. "And, who might you be?" She was looking in R's direction, smoothing her free hand over her perfectly coiffed pony tail.

"[R], and you are?" R looked a tad irritated. Shrugging my shoulders, I introduce him to my sister.

An awkward silence fell over the three of us as I took my place at R's side, his hand resting on my right shoulder.

"I'm so surprised to see you here, you should have let me know you were going to be in town," trying desperately to get even a little conversation going, too much drama in the air.

"Oh, well, you know me. I got to feeling bad for my baby sister, I woke up yesterday and told [husband] I needed to come take care of you for a few days, looks like I got here just in time," smiling, she took my hand and pulled me to her.

She was purposely coming between R and myself, it couldn't be more apparent.

"So, is that your Jag out there [R]?" subtlety is not my sisters forte.

"Um, yeah," his eyes searching mine, he flushed a little, his nervousness becoming very visible.

"That's an awfully nice car, you must be doing well, then, huh?" her jealousy now showing through.

"Ok, stop! We are not going there! If you are here to visit, you are here to visit. Nothing else. No competition, no judging, no criticism. Ok?" 15 minutes into her stay and already I wanted her to leave.

I sometimes wish I was an only child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's got jag.....that's hot!
i always have this fantasy of having sex in a jag. I think i'd swoon if you did it his jag....the temp would burst the thermometer...
*fans herself*

Woman with a Secret said...

fiona, we had done it in his car, more then once.

serendipitygirl, my sister is uptight about everything. It drives me insane.