Saturday, September 30, 2006

When all else fails......

a girls night out will fix what ails.

For the first time since I have known him, R is not speaking with me. With his job, he has been doing an incredible amount of traveling these past few weeks, traveling which has left him resentful and lonely. I could tell in his phone calls he was missing home, missing me.

When he asked that I travel with him last week, I was forced to turn down the request. Work obligations of my own kept me here, work obligations that I just couldn't, with good conscious, get out of.

R became completely irate. Also something I have never before seen in the time that I have known him. Slamming the door, he charged off to his car and that was the last I seen or heard of him.

I'm lost now, I miss him so much.

Seeing my gloom, my cubicle mate requested I join her at the bar last night for drinks with a few of our coworkers. I gladly accepted, all in all it had been a horrible week, I was in need of alcohol consumption.

We sat at the bar for about an hour, laughing and chatting, when the bar tender slid a drink before me and announced the man at the table in the corner had bought me a drink.

A smile crept across my lips as I slowly turned to glance in the direction of the unknown man. Slipping him a tiny wave of thanks, I lifted my drink and mouthed the words 'thank you'. Nodding his head in return, he finished up the drink that sat before him then stood, walking our way.

"Hi there," my heart raced as he leaned up against the bar beside me, all 4 of my companions staring in our direction.

"Hello, how are you this evening?" I laughed, nervous laughter, I wasn't expecting a situation such as this. An elbow jabbed me in the side but I didn't turn to look.

"I'm better now that I've found some decent company," a barrage of giggles came from behind me, I tried hard to hold back my utter embarrassment at my coworkers junior high behavior.

"Well then.... why don't you take a seat and join us," patting the seat beside me, I smiled up in his direction. This was exactly the distraction I was in need of.

No comments: