Sunday, October 23, 2005

Until Friday

When he spoke, what tender words he used! So softly, that like flakes of feathered snow, They melted as they fell.

-John Dryden


I was bathing my little guy when he called. The phone rang twice before I had the courage to answer it, my heart was consumed with fear.

He questioned why it took so long for me to answer the phone, then laughed as he heard the playful splashes in the background. "When I get back I want you to give me a bath too," he teased.

"I, um, we need to........." I was stammering. I couldn't do it. He immediately sense something was upsetting me.

"What's going on?" his voice was a little stern. I could feel tears begin to form in my eyes. I steadied myself and began to speak again.

"[R], I don't think we should see each other anymore." Tears were steadily flowing down my cheeks, my heart pounded in my chest. My little guy began asking me why Mommy was crying. I shushed him lightly.

"Are you crying? Why are you crying? What in the hell is going on?" R's voice echoed from the receiver. He was upset, he never raised his voice to me.

"Why did you have to say it??" I was openly crying now, my voice trembled as I spoke.

"Please don't do this to me......." a much more soothing tone had replaced the initial sternness. "I'll be back on Friday...... We can talk Friday......." he was beginning to plead.

"Ok," my breaths were coming in quick hitched gasps. I had promised myself I wasn't going to do this. I was silently chastising myself.

The phone conversation ended with R softly telling me that we were going to work things out. I was angry with myself for not being stronger, for not being able to keep the upper hand.

6 comments:

twisted said...

those are three pretty dangerous words though you know

Spider Girl said...

It's hard to break something off. Good luck.

Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

Be strong... There is nothing he can tell you that is worth losing your child over. Patch up what you can at home or break it off the right way. Keeping it on the downlow only works for a little while. Then it will blow up and you will lose everything.

If you are lucky you can end it and keep what you still have, but you have to BE STRONG!

And maybe if you help your husband, he can do all those things this guy can, hell he probably wants to.

Best of luck!

Woman with a Secret said...

I admit, the situation has become more then I bargained for. I'll be thinking in depth through the course of the week.

Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

...and not just any kind of plutonium... That's like mixing arabs and explosives.

It's all fun and games until some one blows up a bus.

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

whatever makes you happy, I guess.